Aside from proper application, aftercare is the most important factor in good retention. Quite often I see my clients doing their absolute best at washing their lash extensions daily and still occasionally have problems with retention. 70% of the time it can be traced back to a skincare product (the other 30% is usually environmental factors like saunas, heat, steam, sleeping on their face, extreme whitewater rafting trips, ect.). Facial cleansers will get on lashes even if you don't put it directly on your eyes. Rinsing a cleanser off, it will inevitably get on lashes. Many cleansers contain glycols and oils. Moisturizers and serums will migrate to the eye area, and if they're not lash safe they'll weaken the adhesive. Sweating will move these products around even more. And eye cream, don't get me started. I've seen non-lash safe eye cream remove 75% of a set of lashes in 6 days.
So, how do we avoid this?
By using products that have little to no ingredients that weaken the adhesive you get your maximum retention. This saves you money and time.
high to moderate amounts of these ingredients will weaken your lash extensions. These are ingredients that will most often be found in high enough concentrations to decrease retention when you see them on a label. Here's what to avoid:
- Propylene glycol
- Butylene glycol
- PEG (polyethylene glycol)
- Hexylene Glycol
-Oils - Very few oils are lash safe. Oils that weaken lash adhesive can work quickly. In as few as three days after use, lash extensions can begin to detach.
There are some ingredients, like phenoxyethanol, which can definitely weaken lash adhesive. However, this ingredient is typically used in low concentrations (.5%) as a preservative and not in any amount to have an effect on retention. When used as a preservative, you'll find it at the end of the ingredient list. Definitely avoid this ingredient in all but trace amounts. Fun fact, phenoxyethanol is actually found naturally in green tea.
Alchemist Clinical Skincare provides a full line of lash extension safe skincare products in professional formulations only available from a licensed esthetician. Click the sidebar to see our full line of products that are guaranteed to keep your lashes looking full and gorgeous in between fills.